Video games are invented to entertain people especially the kids.
It has positive effects on children that could be beneficial for them. However, the negative effects on them are not to be taken for granted and needs attention especially by parents.
As they constantly emerged in video games, the lack of activities, interaction with family and friends gradually decreases. Their studies are also affected much that would become a problem to most educators. They usually have poor performance at school that leads them to conditions such as depression, anxiety and even social phobia. Thus affects the child’s developmental growth.
It’s not easy to take your child off from playing video games. However there are ways to minimize and can gradually stop it.
Here are some suggestions on how to get your child off video games.
- Look for alternatives or activities where in you can divert your child’s attention. Ask and know what his other interests besides video games are and engage him into it. Activities such as sports like basketball, baseball, and even swimming are good for your kid. This could deviate his time to playing sports instead of locking himself playing video games. This could also be good for his physical fitness and health.
- Make sure your child finishes all homework’s and household chores after school. After all these tasks, you can give time for your child to play his video game. This could develop a sense of responsibility on your child.
- Play video games with your child. If you can’t beat them, join them. It is sometimes impossible to stop your child from playing video games, so instead of hurting them play the game with them. It is important as parents that you know what your child is up to. Don’t allow them to engage in games that could influence them negatively. Avoid playing violent games that could affect their mental and social welfare. Your guidance is important for your child’s development. This could also create camaraderie between you and your child.
- Set time limits on playing video games. Setting up a schedule is helpful. Make them realize that time is precious and you can be productive at the same time enjoying you favorite game. This could develop self-discipline on your child’s part.
- Set up the video games in the family room and not in their rooms. With this, you can be able to supervise what your child is playing. It would be easy for you as well to enforce the rules regarding time limits and what game your child should play.
- Eat together as one family. This could open up communication and interaction with every member of the family. Your child’s social and interaction skills will be enhanced as well. Locking himself up in a room and not talking to anyone can develop an anti-social behavior. Thus it is important that parents and family talk is apprehended. Discuss about their accomplishments and even problems they face at school or with friends. This would be a great help for your kids and you as a parent as well.
- Give rewards or consequence on your child’s behavior. If he is obedient enough in following the rules, give him rewards such as extending his game time or giving him gifts allowing him to know that he did a great job. On the other hand, if he did not follow your rules, certain consequence must be lifted. Be firm in giving consequences for them not to be tolerated with their mistakes.